Saturday 14 September 2013

Burnin fever - possible locations, props, initial storyboard and brainstorm ideas

Burnin fever - Possible locations, props, initial storyboard and brainstorm ideas

The prezi above contains two A3 pages of plan/notes for my music video; these plans include a storyboard of possible shots for the first 48 seconds of the video, ideal locations to film certain scenes, props that would be needed for the shoot. Also included are, a new helmet design/concept for the robot, a sort of structure to the narrative of the video, ideas for imagery that could take place during certain places in the track as well as a short brainstorm as how to depict the robot taking over the digital world. To read the Prezi please full screen the presentation and zoom in on each page.

Below I have included some extra details concerning certain areas of the two A3 pages

A new helmet design



For the look of the robot I have decided to alter its appearance keeping the astronaut base helmet but opting for a more blocky look. I've decided to make the design look like a video game like graphic or pixel to suggest the robots more software like ties and to convey a technology theme/visual motif that can be found in my chosen genre of music for my music video and similar genres such as techno.


An example of pixel video game like graphics. I would like the robots mask to have a similar aesthetic to this

In addition, the use of a mask can convey the look of a masked DJ or artist; a convention  that is found in my chosen genre and similar genres.

"I did it because the thing in techno you weren’t supposed to do was to be recognized and stuff. The sort of unwritten rule was that you can’t put your face on the sleeve. It has to be like a circuit board or something. Therefore I put my face on the sleeve. That’s why I originally did it. But then I got carried away."
—Aphex Twin
Aphex Twin explaining anonymity in the techno genre.

Structure/Plot line

During my mind map, I started to develop a more focused structure to my music video. As mentioned before in another post my music video will follow the exploits of a scientist/hacker as he uploads a virus to the web causing which causes chaos in strange ways. After mind mapping and really thinking what the virus does and how it works I managed to come up with a structure and less broad idea to the events in the music video.

  •  Sequence 1 - We are introduced to the Hacker as uploads the virus
  • Sequence 2 -  We see the robot/virus affect the web/digital world as a group of office workers watch a viral video of the robot which also happens to be the virus
  • Sequence 3 - The office workers get infected by watching the video
  • Sequence 4 -The office workers spread the infection
  • Sequence 5 - The infection is widespread and worldwide
  • Sequence 6 - The Hacker gets infected by his own virus
Within the Prezi on the second page I have left some notes certain events that I would like to happen at certain times during the music video



 The virus and how it works

I have decided that the virus depicted in the video works by a person watching a video of the robot and  which causes them to lag or glitch out as if they were in a video game (to show the artists sci-fi image and to also keep with the technology theme). Eventually the viewers turn into a zombie like creatures which then spreads the virus to other people. The idea of a virus traveling via television or someone watching a video was influenced by the horror film called The ring which features a cursed video which people who watch it die within seven days. In my music video the people who watch the video do not die because it would cause a massive shift in tone furthermore one may suggest possible showing some sort intertextual reference or parody to the ring may be suitable in my music video to convey a comic tone that is desired as mentioned previously in my initial ideas post.




For zombie like creatures or infected I have taken inspiration from the Aphex twin music video, come to daddy which features a group of children wearing Aphex Twin masks and running around an causing chaos. The infected in my music video will take a similar approach to the children featured in come to daddy as they will wear masks to conceal their humanity and convey a subtle hint of creepiness however I would like to dress these infected people in fancy dress clothing such as pirate hats pyjamas or onsies to convey the comical and whimsical tone.


Other notes 

  • Throughout my planning I will be referring to something as the digital world which refers to any types of visual texts such as TV, films and music videos which the robot lives in and is taking over.
  • I would like the robots take over to be represented in a variety of ways which include the invasion of other genres similar to the music video Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California and how it features many of the tropes and stereotypical looks of certain music genres however this may be subject to change if it proves to much of a large scale to work with.
  • Another way I would like to depict the robots take over of the digital world is to feature a sprite sequence similar to the music video Junior Senior -Move your Feet in which we see a simple dance animation of the robot in a video game like graphic.
  • During the video as mentioned previous post I expressed my interest to use stock footage to draw parallels to how my chosen genre uses samples from other texts to create something new. This idea of visual samples was inspired by the music video Com Truise Brokendate a track of a similar genre to my chosen one. I have however chosen to use "visual samples" to convey and add emphasis to the virus overloading the digital world around 3:42 to 4:10 in which the pace of the music picks up and repeats the word fever several times. Furthermore, similar to Brokendate which features visual samples from old footage from the 80's, I too would like to use a mix of 80's/late 70's footage to convey a retro look whilst making reference to my chosen genre,nu disco's 80's origins
  • Finally during my music video I would like to have some type based sequences similar to the music video Daft Punk - Technologic which features sequences of kinetic type flash on a small monitor. I would like to employ this effect to emphasize the lyrics"like a fever burnin', and let the love with feel" as computer commands.


  • Words such as "Burnin" and "love" will be represented by rebuses such as an image of fire and a love heart to draw emphasis to such words. 
     
     

     

2 comments:

  1. Excellent method of linking to inspiring videos while planning, Chris. You could technically add the 'research' label to his as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *this, not his!

    ReplyDelete