Wednesday 25 September 2013

Props - Final Helmet Design + process

Prop - Final Helmet Design + process




Above is an image of various designs for the robots masks based on the blocky, game graphic theme I previously mentioned.  I was particularly inspired by the Dj's and similar musicians such as Daft Punk, Deadmau5,Cazzette and the Dj's from mars as well as the video game minecraft when designing the final look for the mask.


Visual elements which influenced my design


The Designs were mostly based on the idea of either looking like a typical 1950's idea of a robot or to make and intertextual reference to technology such as basing the face on the design of a boom box, or a VHS tape or a floppy disc in order to convey the sci-fi image my artist says was his intention in his music but keeping with the whimsical theme.

Finally one thing, that I thought should be consistent throughout the designs is that the robot must smile in some form in order to make the robot much more approachable to keep with the fun theme. However in some of my designs I did experiment with attempting to make the simile slightly creepy to show that the robot isn't exactly all good and fun.

Below is the final design of the robots mask created via Photoshop. I hope to print out the face and attach it to the front of the box as the face. I plan to apply similar methods all round the box to create the  full mask.
The robot


1 comment:

  1. You could add the word PROPS to this title, as that is effectively what it is!

    ReplyDelete